Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes Diet
The TLC diet is a low-saturated fat, low-cholesterol eating plan. The TLC diet is for anyone whose LDL is above his or her goal level.
- Less than 7% of the day’s total calories from saturated fat.
- 25-35% or less of the day’s total calories from fat.
- Less than 200 milligrams of dietary cholesterol a day.
- Limit sodium intake to 2400 milligrams a day.
- Just enough calories to achieve or maintain a healthy weight and reduce blood cholesterol level. (Ask your doctor or a registered dietitian what is a reasonable calorie level for you.)
Other Low Cholesterol or TLC diet factors:
Soluble fiber may be increased in the diet if LDL is not lowered enough by reducing saturated fat and cholesterol.
Certain food products that contain plant stanols or plant sterols (e.g., cholesterol-lowering margarines and salad dressings) can also be added to the diet to boost its LDL-lowering power.
Understanding Your Cholesterol Level |
What you need to know about Cholesterol testing
Lowering Your Cholesterol Levels
Facts about Cholesterol
This diet has changed my life. I feel much healthier and now I have energy to exercise. Thank you!