What is the difference between HDL and LDL
HDL cholesterol is known as “good” cholesterol because it helps remove excess cholesterol from the body. LDL cholesterol is known as “bad” cholesterol because it can build up in the walls of the arteries, increasing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
HDL cholesterol is believed to have a protective effect against heart disease because it helps to remove excess cholesterol from the body. On the other hand, LDL cholesterol can build up in the walls of the arteries, increasing the risk of heart disease and stroke. It is important to maintain healthy levels of both LDL and HDL cholesterol for overall heart health.
There are several lifestyle changes that can help reduce LDL cholesterol levels:
- Eat a healthy diet: Choose foods that are low in saturated and trans fats, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Exercise regularly: Physical activity can help lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can increase LDL cholesterol and decrease HDL cholesterol.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight or obese can increase LDL cholesterol.
- Limit alcohol intake: Excess alcohol intake can raise LDL cholesterol.
In addition to lifestyle changes, your doctor may prescribe medication to help lower LDL cholesterol levels if they are very high or if lifestyle changes alone are not sufficient.
How can I keep my cholesterol level down?
What is Arteriosclerosis?
When should I start checking my cholesterol level?
How often should i check my cholesterol?
What should I eat to lower cholesterol?
Leave a Reply